Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Deportista de futbol?

Did I honestly think I could give up sports after about 16 years of playing them. I could say yes, but I think that I would be lying to myself. I hear about this soccer team and I jump right on board. The last time I played soccer competatively was before high school. My strongest memories of playing soccer consist of the one time I threw up playing a sport in my life after running what felt like a half marathon and crying and begging my mom to let me skip my club soccer practice because I hate it so much. Looks like sports have quite the impact on mi vida.

But to be quite honest, there is so much you can learn by playing team sports. After just two practices, not only is my coloquial Spanish improving, but I am making new Spanish friends who, even though they can speak un poquito ingles they speak to us in Spanish to help us learn. Today after first practicing outdoors for an hour and a half and then practicing indoor for an hour one of my teammates asked if we wanted to grab some cominda y cervezas. I am pretty sure I was the first one to shout "Si!" So we grabbed our things and headed to the bar the team goes to after every game. We went downstairs and I enjoyed my first cerveza con limon (half beer half lemon fanta) it was DELICIOUS!! That will most likely continue to be my drink of choice. We enjoyed some tapas like potatas y Spanish tortillas (which are like potatoes pancakes kind of and can have onion in them...rather tasty. We had some conversations (in spanish/spanglish) about bull fights and class and things we enjoy doing in our free time. Then they proceeded to tell us that they have won only uno partido en cuatro anos!!!! (For you non-spanish speakers that is ONE GAME IN FOUR YEARS!!!!) We probably laughed for 10 minutes after that and I can't wait for our first game this Thursday when we play the best team in the league. Last time they played them we lost 20-0 and the other team took it easy on them. They said when they won their only game it was like the biggest fiesta en el mundo and they celebrated by going to a discoteca. I can only hope that we win some games because I definitely do NOT like losing :)

So I'm looking forward to a really fun season with lot of fun people and a great coach.

Tomorrow after class I am headed to the Renia Sophia museum to check out some Picasso artwork.

Buenas Noches!

5 comments:

  1. Wow Morgan! Well I just became your second fan and I wanted to let you know that I will be AVIDLY reading for updates on your adventures! I particularly enjoyed the entry about the club---amazing!!! Good luck with el futbol! Be careful...don't get hurt playing that would just be silly! But you all better win some games and celebrate con muchas y muchas cervezas!!!

    Love, Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am playing soccer here too! It's the first time I've ever played soccer in my entire life...I scored 4 goals in my first game...hahah! I am seriously saving my money to visit...I think my boyfriend is going to come with me too! I want you to meet him! Anyway, I decided to follow your blog because I think it's awesome...I wish I would have started one, but I pretty much do the same thing everyday...so it'd be super boring. Your blog is great and I will read it everyday! Hope all is well, ciao for now!

    Stephanie L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me much longer in Europe to discover beer and fanta - that was one of my faves as well - enjoy one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen told me about your blog, I'm super jealous, I wish that I would have thought to do one in NYC, it's gonna be awesome to look back on. Kind of like a journal (kinda like the journal you made fun of me for keeping sophomore year of high school when we went on the cruise lol). I miss you and it sounds like you are having an awesomeeee time. I knew that you wouldn't be able to stay away from sports haha I hope that your team wins or else you will make the "Morgan is pissed bc her team is losing face"...and I don't know if that will translate into Spanish as well as it does in English haha. Miss you can't wait to read more about your adventures!! <3 you
    --Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morgan! This is TOO long without another entry! How was Africa?!

    ReplyDelete