Saturday, February 6, 2010

Granada Jan 29-31



I am so excited to write about my trip to Morocco that I don't even want to write about my previous weekend in Granada, but I'm looking through journal now and I'm going to give it a try so here gooooesssss...



I went to Granada with my API group it was about a 6 hour drive to get there, it is located in the south of Spain. I spent a good deal of time listening to my Ipod and watching the changing scenary from my window.



When we got to Granada we had some free time to explore so some of us walked around Granada (which is absolutely beautiful with the mountains so close in the background). Then we went to the Cathedral Metropolitana De Granada where King Ferdinand and Isabella are buried. It was gorgeous cathedral. Then that night we asked the man behind the counter where we could find some good tapas bars (Granada is known for its tapas bars) and he directed us to this little hidden street of tapas bars that was amazing (tourist free!) We spent the night tapas hopping and really enjoyed ourselves.




The next day we went on a walking tour of the city and Maria (our program director) took us up this cobblestone path to a high point in the city with the best view of La Alhambra. We took lots of pictures up there and listened to live music and I bought a bracelet from a gypsy. :) It was such a clear and beautiful day, the view was excellente.



Then I had a bit of a panic attack. My right eyeball had been really red for the past week and a half and then all of a sudden a bump had risen on my eyeball. (yes eyeball..not eyelid, or eyecrease literally on my eye) So I went to 3 pharmacies where two of them told me I needed a medico aka doctor. Well I didn't go and long story short I should be a doctor because I diagnosed myself using google and webmd...(so much for my 80 euro doctor's visit when I got back to Madrid on Monday). Anywho..I have something called pingueculum (type that in google images and click on the 5th picture...looks exactly like my eye did) Anyway..its something I have always had from like intense exposure to UV rays (thanks Mom and Dad for not making me wear sunglasses for my one million hours I am sure I've spent outside cutting grass and pulling weeds.) Anyway I guess it happens because the air here is very very dry and the pollution in the air are contributing factors...but I got some high intensity eye drops and its all good now. If it comes back I just need to get more drops..so we are good to go.



Back to Granada...after going to a zillion pharmacies I met up with some of the kids in my program and we ran to the grocery store to grab some boxed wine (classy) and then we got ready and headed to the Flamenco show which was really really cool. I enjoyed it while drinking a nice cool glass of sangria. The dancers were really talents and I took some good videos to share for when I get back. After the show we hit up more tapas bars and then got some frozen yogurt that might be the best I have ever had in mi vida.



Our last day we went and visited La Alhambra. Which was basically a military fortress, a palace, and a medina dating back to the 9th century. Its also the best preserved Arabian palace . Our tourguide was great and I took lots of pictures of course.
Anyway Granada really was awesome, but my new experiences in Morocco are overshadowing how great Granada really was..I wish I would have wrote about it before I left for Morocco. I'm going to take a dinner break because I just got back from Marakesh today and all I've had is some delicious bread, butter, and honey at the hostel along with mint tea (which I LOVEEE!) so I will write about Morocco when I return.

Au Revoir!

1 comment:

  1. I definitely read this one second because I didn't even see it down there after reading about your Aladin adventures. Be careful with your eye! Look at the pictures of pingueculum infection...it looks painful! Love you.

    ReplyDelete